Sunday, January 24, 2021

Who is John E. Carson and how is he related to me?

I have four DNA relatives on Ancestry.com that also appear to share DNA with each other.  Ancestry predicted that three of them were 4th-6th cousins and one was predicted to be a 5th-8th cousins.  Tracing each of their lines, I was easily able to determine that they were all great-great-grandchildren of William G. Carson (1/11/1830 Ky. - 10/1/1898 Ks.) (middle name appears in trees / records as either Green or Greenberry). William married Russella Isabell Dustin (9/10/1833 Mo. - 12/7/1910 Ok.) on 9/12/1851 in Caldwell County, Mo.  My Carson ancestors were in Kentucky at that time but I was not able to place William in my tree anywhere.

In a search for William's parents, I found his obituary that clearly states he was living in Caldwell County, Mo. in 1850 but I searched all 2,400 names in that county's 1850 census record and he is not there.  There are about 100 Ancestry members that have William in their tree and they almost all say that William is the son of John E. Carson (1/8/1804 SC - ~1880 Tx.) and Elinor Stringham Cox (~1810 Va. - 3/15/1844) who were married on 8/15/1825 in Pulaski County, Kentucky.  None of these members show any proof of that parentage.  I have also found no record of John and Elinor other than their marriage record.  Some people show John as dying in 1835 which is more realistic as he would have otherwise appeared on the 1850, 1860, 1870 and/or the 1880 census records.

If both of William's parents did pass away by his 14th birthday, he may have just been placed with other relatives or friends and maybe not counted in the census or they were in another county and I have not found him.

Interestingly, most people with John E. Carson in their tree, they show that John and Elinor had three children who lived until adulthood:

  • Cynthia Ann Carson (7/26/1827 Ky. - 8/29/1864 Mo.) who married Commodore Perry Armstrong (3/1/1822 Tn - 5/10/1889 Mo.) on 12/18/1845 in Platte County, Mo.
  • William G. Carson (1/11/1830 Ky. - 10/1/1898 Ks.) (middle name appears in trees / records as either Green or Greenberry). William married Russella Isabell Dustin (9/10/1833 Mo. - 12/7/1910 Ok.) on 9/12/1851 in Caldwell County, Mo.
  • Matilda Jane Carson (3/27/1832 Ky. - 7/30/1922 Ks.) who married Martin D. Brooks (3/7/1826 Ky. - 7/11/1851 Mo.) on 12/19/1848 in Platte County, Mo. and, after being widowed, she married John J. Scott (~1819 Ky. - ?, Mo.) on 7/13/1852 in Platte County, Mo.

I have been able to trace one other DNA relative who is the great-great-great-grandchild of Matilda Jane Carson.  I am still looking for others in Cynthia's line.

This post is here so that I can share information with the relatives in the Carson line but some information is masked or abbreviated for the sake of confidentiality.  I am trying to find the parents and grandparents of William, Cynthia and Matilda.  If confirmed Carson relatives find this post, feel free to contact me for additional information.

My DNA relatives:

  • JA  - William G. Carson > Charles Christopher Carson > Carol Vera Carson Davis > 
  • VSD - William G. Carson > Charles Christopher Carson > Carol Vera Carson Davis > 
  • KQ  - William G. Carson > L. Docia Carson Ernsbarger > Alonzo Wadsworth Ernsbarger >
  • CD  - William G. Carson > Clara Belle Jane Carson Clampitt > Russella I. Clampitt Cassel > Cecil Marvin Cassel
  • LM  - Matilda Jane Carson > Margaret Luella Scott > Efton Lloyd McFee > 

Note: I see that VSD is also a granddaughter of a Gentry, as am I.  Almost all Gentrys in America supposedly descended either from Nicholas or Samuel Gentry who came to America in the late 1600's, settling in Albemarle, Va., or they were a descendant of a slave that worked for the extended family. (see https://archive.org/details/gentryfamilyinam1909gent/page/n7/mode/2up ).  While VSD and I are most likely related through the Gentry line as well, I am also sure that we are related through the Carson side since I am related to JA, her first cousin who does not have the Gentry connection.

I have included below some of the evidence of the lineage of these relatives:







The obituary of Alonzo W. "Lon" Ernsbarger appeared with the middle initial "V" but I am sure this is the correct person.  Alonzo married Mary Katthrine Henry in February, 1909 in Howell County, Mo.  The couple had two children (Lyndell and Edythe), moved to Oregon before divorcing sometime in the 1920's.  Alonzo then married again on 6/14/1945 in Eugene Oregon to Ida Christine Petersen Melby Klein.





























No comments:

Post a Comment