Proving family connections from 200 years ago isn't always easy with just documents. Census, birth, death, marriage records and newspaper articles may not be available any longer and family letters were passed on to other descendants or thrown away a long time ago. Sometimes DNA evidence is all I am able to use. I guess if it is good enough to convict people of crimes and to identify the remains of distant relatives, it will have to do for me.
My great-great-grandfather was definitely Joseph Schmitt (b. 8 Mar 1838, Bavaria – d. 25 Nov 1915, Baltimore, Md.). I recently found six DNA relatives on Ancestry who all descend from three different children of George Schmitt (b. 19 Jul 1844, Baunach, Bavaria – d. 7 Nov. 1900, Baltimore, Md.) and his wife Eugenia Mary Sorg. The six DNA relatives all share between 17 and 27cM with me. This much DNA suggests that the Ancestry members are almost certainly my 4th cousins or 4th cousins once removed. If true, that would mean that George and Joseph were brothers – but this is still just assumed as I have no documentation for it. The only supporting information is that they were both from Bavaria, both were Catholic rather than Lutheran and both reported on the 1900 census that they immigrated in the early 1850’s. There is also some evidence that they both arrived and settled in New York at first before coming down to Baltimore just before and after the Civil War.
That is enough evidence for me to justify including George & his descendants on my tree in Ancestry but I really would love to find documents to back that up.
If
George and Joseph really were brothers, then it was likely that Joseph was also born in Baunach. Another
reasonable assumption is that George and Joseph likely emigrated together, with
their parents and any other siblings.
George would have been less than eleven years old when he came to
America, too young to emigrate alone or with another minor brother. Both of these educated guesses are useful to
me.
Two other DNA relatives that I have in Ancestry can trace their ancestors to different children of Franz Otto Schmitt (b. 6 Sep 1841, Bamberg, Bavaria – d. 17 Jul 1877, Louisville, Ky.). Bamberg is the nearest city to the small village of Baunach, only about 12km (7 miles) away. Franz was documented to be the son of Johann Oswald Schmitt (b. 16 Sep 1818, Baunach, Bavaria – d. 22 Dec 1893 Louisville, Ky.). At first, I hoped that Franz and Johann were the brother and father, respectively, of the brothers in my tree, Joseph and George. This does not look to be correct though.
Johann, Franz and Franz’s wife and children only emigrated in 1882 and, although they landed in Baltimore, they quickly pressed on to Louisville, Ky. Also, Johann is also reported to have had a son named George who was born only a month before the George in my tree was born. Johann’s George is also reported to have died in infancy in 1845.
I am now working on the educated guess that Johann was the uncle of my great-great-grandfather, Joseph Schmitt as well as the assumed brother of Joseph, George. The two DNA relatives who descended from Johann and Franz share 17 and 8cM with me. I believe that they are 5th cousins and 4th cousins once removed, respectively.
Even
though I don’t have definitive proof of the relationship of all these Schmitts
from Baunach, The DNA points to this conclusion. I am putting them in my tree to help me find
further DNA relatives who descended from Johann.
No comments:
Post a Comment